Band or DJ?
Oh the dreaded question....Band or DJ?
They are both so different, yet both so similar. Do you want a show or a dance party or a show and a dance party? Or a brass band from Fenway Park or a dance club with disco balls and lighting? Decisions, decisions.
Although I do have a personal opinion, I never make the decision for my couples, but instead I ask them the following questions and give the following insights when faced with this dilemma.
What type of music do you listen to?
How much room does your venue have for dance floor and music?
Are you very particular about the songs you want to hear?
Do you have a list of music that is very atypical for a wedding?
Do you want to be able to hear any song you want at anytime, or possibly be limited?
Do you want to put on a show for your guests?
Pluses of a DJ
- They can play any song you want, at any time, and can download new songs quickly
- They can quickly read the crowd and play any requests (if you allow requests!)
- They can meet with you prior to the event, learn your playlist and customize it to your party
Minus of a DJ
- They can easily sway from your playlist (never to the do not play list of course!) if the crowd takes control and you could miss out on some favorite songs you wanted to hear
Pluses of a Band
- Puts on a show for your guests
- Play mostly dance songs with tons of energy and will interact with your guests
- Can be specific to your genre - jazz, brass band, African, top 40, 80s & 90s dance party, etc.
Minus of a Band
- Can be 2-3 times more expensive than a DJ
There are many differences between a band and a DJ and based off of your answers to the questions above and your take on the pluses and minuses of both, you need to make the best decision for you and your guests. And seeing that you have invited all of your guests to travel to Cape Cod for your beautiful wedding, you want to make sure that your guests have a night to remember!
Plan. Relax. Enjoy.
At Cape Cod Celebrations, your vision is our brand. Learn more about how we can help you pull together your beautiful Cape Cod Wedding.